Logistics Industry Can Make India A $26 Trillion Economy — TheCodeWork
India’s logistics industry has shown great progress, moving up six spots in the World Bank’s Logistics Performance Index (LPI). I am sure you were aware of that! This advancement can be attributed to several factors, including advancements in technology, data-oriented decision-making, and the implementation of enhanced policies. One of India’s long-term objectives is to reach a remarkable milestone of becoming a US$ 26 trillion economy. This goal entails substantial growth in the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) over the coming years.
Achieving this target would solidify India’s position as a major economic powerhouse and create numerous opportunities for businesses. In this endeavor, the logistics industry plays a pivotal role in shaping the path to economic prosperity.
So, let’s explore how the logistics industry can make India a $26 trillion economy.
Earlier in the year, the government increased the Union Budget allocation for capital investment by 33 percent, amounting to INR 10 trillion, for 2023–24. The logistics industry warmly welcomes this development, but why?
Well, it will bolster India’s position in the global supply chain by prioritizing infrastructure development. Also, such measures attract foreign investments through a favorable operating environment for companies.
The National Logistics Policy (NLP) and the PM Gati Shakti initiative has played an integral role in India’s LPI. By the way, our extensive research has provided us some insights on the ( National Logistics Policy 2023: Impact On India) — you may have a quick look over there.
Talking of which, if you are looking to integrate tech across your line of business, let’s have a chat. Book a free consultation call here at TheCodeWork.
Okay, so moving on…
Key Trends steering India’s Logistics Performance in 2023: How logistics industry can make India a $26 trillion economy
As per a recent EY report titled “India@100: unlocking the potential of a $26 trillion economy, “- India is projected to achieve a remarkable goal soon. So, let’s have a look on how the Logistics Industry will accelerate India towards this goal.
Delving into 2023, the logistics industry in India is undergoing a significant transformation, fueled by several noteworthy trends. These emerging trends are playing a pivotal role in shaping the sector’s performance- and exerting a profound influence on the overall economic growth of the nation.
Let me tell you about some of the pivotal trends steering India’s logistics performance in 2023:
Digitalization and Technology Adoption: The logistics industry is embracing digitalization and advanced technologies like never before. Companies like Maersk & DHL are leveraging tools such as, Internet of Things (IoT), AI & Blockchain to optimize supply chain processes.
Well, if you also are looking for technical solutions that will streamline your logistics operations — that contribute to increased productivity and reduced costs. Then don’t delay anymore, TheCodeWork Team of experts is ready to be with you every step along the way.
- E-commerce Boom: With the exponential growth of e-commerce, there is an increasing demand for efficient and faster services. This trend is reshaping the logistics landscape, with a focus on building robust delivery networks.
- Supply Chain Resilience and Agility: COVID-19 disruptions highlighted the importance of building resilient and agile supply chains. The industry is now focusing on mitigating risks, diversifying sourcing strategies, by adopting flexible logistics solutions.
These trends collectively contribute to the ongoing transformation of India’s logistics industry. And to know more on this, you can check out our blog on ‘Tech Trends in the Logistics Industry for 2023".
Role of Modern Technology in Logistics: how the logistics industry can make India a $26 trillion economy.
According to a survey conducted by DHL, 95% of logistics companies believed that technology would have a positive impact on their businesses. This is exactly where we know that the logistics industry can make India a $26 trillion economy. Well, Ofcourse! There’s no doubt in it. Technology has brought about a paradigm shift in the logistics industry, transforming traditional operations into an advanced & responsive ecosystem.
Here’s how modern technology can help revolutionize the logistics industry:
- Enhanced Visibility and Real-Time Tracking: With the use of GPS tracking, IoT devices, and RFID tags, businesses can monitor the movement of goods throughout the supply chain. It is now possible for logistics providers to gain real-time visibility into their operations. This increased visibility allows the ability to identify and address potential bottlenecks promptly.
- Automation and Process Optimization: AI and machine learning streamline logistics processes, reducing manual labor and minimizing errors. Warehouse automation, for example, involves the use of robotics and conveyor systems to handle inventory efficiently. These process optimizations translate to cost savings, increased productivity, and faster turnaround times.
Want to simplify your operations and amplify results? Contact TheCodeWork Today and validate ways to see how logistics industry can make India a $26 trillion economy.
Data-Driven Decision Making: The logistics industry generates massive amounts of data at every stage of the supply chain. Along with Big Data Analytics it collects, analyzes, and leverages this data to make informed decisions.
Pro-Tip: By harnessing this information, you can make proactive adjustments, anticipate market trends, & implement strategies for continuous improvement. Cool! Ain’t it?
- Supply Chain Optimization: Cloud-based platforms and data-sharing technologies allows seamless communication and data exchange between suppliers, manufacturers, and logistics partners. To know more on this, Check out our blog on “Supply Chain Visibility & Risk Management: Empowering CEOs”
Countries harnessing the Power of Tech in Logistics to boost Economy | How the logistics industry can make India a $26 trillion economy.
Now, here comes the most intriguing part! Let’s have a look on how the following countries boosted their economies with tech integration in the logistics industry.
Logistics Automation and Robotics: Known for its advanced manufacturing sector, has embraced logistics automation and robotics to drive economic growth.
- Implemented advanced technologies in its warehouses and distribution centers to optimize material handling, inventory management & order fulfillment.
- Improved productivity and reduced operational costs, enabling German companies to stay competitive in the global market.
Smart Ports and IoT Integration: Strategically invested in smart ports and integrated IoT solutions to enhance its logistics performance.
- Major ports like Rotterdam have implemented smart technologies to improve vessel tracking, container handling, and cargo tracking.
- IoT sensors facilitate real-time data exchange, providing greater visibility and efficiency throughout the supply chain.
Digital Supply Chain and E-commerce: Their exponential economic growth is closely linked to digital supply chain technologies and the booming e-commerce industry.
- Alibaba and JD.com have developed sophisticated logistics networks, incorporating AI, data analytics, and smart warehousing solutions.
- This has facilitated seamless order processing, rapid fulfillment, and efficient last-mile delivery, supporting China’s global trade dominance.
United Arab Emirates
Trade Facilitation and Digital Customs: The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has leveraged logistics technology to enhance its position as a global trade hub.
Invested in advanced customs technologies, including digital documentation and e-customs clearance processes, to expedite cross-border trade.
These examples demonstrate how various countries have used logistics technology to optimize supply chain operations, and strengthen their economies. So, Why not India? Let’s see how logistics industry can make India a $26 trillion economy. Remember, TheCodeWork will help you with all your technical and digital solutions. Contact Us Today!
Infrastructure Development and Connectivity: Check how the logistics industry can make India a $26 trillion economy
Robust infrastructure is an attractive factor for both domestic and foreign investors. Investors prioritize locations with efficient transportation and connectivity for smooth operations, timely delivery of goods, and market access.
Also, World Bank research suggests that every 1% increase in infrastructure investment leads to a 1.5% increase in GDP.
So, let’s explore the significance of some of the components in India’s logistics landscape:
Roads: India is developing Dedicated Freight Corridors (DFCs) to enhance logistics efficiency.
- India has invested significantly in the development of national highways, with over 142,000 km of national highways constructed. (September 2021)
- Road transport accounts for about 65–70% of the freight movement in the country.
Railways: Indian Railways, one of the world’s largest railway networks, is instrumental in bulk transportation of goods over long distances.
- It is estimated that Indian Railways carries around 30% of the total freight traffic in India.
- India has been actively modernizing its freight operations, including the introduction of dedicated freight corridors to improve efficiency.
Airports: Currently,India has more than 100 operational airports, with major international airports in cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, & Chennai.
- In 2019, India’s air cargo traffic reached around 3.5 million metric tons, contributing to international trade.
Ports: India has a coastline of approximately 7,500 kilometers, with over 200 notified and non-notified ports & 13 major ports.
- In the fiscal year 2020–2021, JNPT handled around 5.42 million TEUs (Twenty-foot Equivalent Units) of container cargo.
- The Port of Mundra handled a total cargo volume of over 165 million metric tons In the fiscal year (2020–2021).
Improving and modernizing this integrated transport infrastructure is a key priority for the Indian government and private sector stakeholders, — to further strengthen the logistics ecosystem and support India’s economic ambition of becoming a $26 Trillion Economy. So consult a logistics tech company and embrace the power of technology for your logistics operations
Supply Chain Efficiency and Time Management
In a globalized economy, businesses with efficient supply chains gain a competitive edge in international markets. As businesses experience growth due to supply chain optimization, they are likely to expand operations.
So, a well optimized Supply Chain will streamline processes to enhance productivity and reduce time consumptions. Optimizing supply chain processes is of paramount significance for economic growth.
Here are some strategies to achieve it:
- Integrated SupplyChain Management: Implementing an integrated supply chain management system that connects all aspects of the supply chain. This integration enables real-time visibility into inventory levels, demand, and production. It also leads to better decision-making and reduced lead times.
- Demand Forecasting and Planning: Adopt data-driven demand forecasting techniques to anticipate customer demand accurately. This helps in optimizing inventory levels and production schedules, reducing stockouts, and minimizing excess inventory.
Insights: Zara’s supply chain is designed to deliver new fashion collections to stores at an unprecedented speed.
Talking of which, do you want to try out AI & Cloud Based systems for your business operations? Reach out to us for a free consultation.
In summary, optimizing supply chain processes has a far-reaching impact on economic growth. It not only drives operational efficiencies and cost savings, but also contributes to job creation & enhanced global competitiveness.
Promoting E-commerce and Last-Mile Delivery
The growth of e-commerce in India has been nothing short of remarkable over the past decade. With increasing internet penetration, and a surge in smartphone usage, India witnessed a boom. This digital revolution has played a pivotal role in driving the rapid expansion of the e-commerce sector.
- The convenience, variety, and competitive pricing offered by e-commerce have attracted consumers from both urban and rural areas.
- E-commerce companies have been successful in popularizing special sales events like “Big Billion Days” (Flipkart) & “Great Indian Festival” (Amazon). These events offer massive discounts and attractive deals, spurring a surge in consumer spending and sales volumes.
Impact on the Logistics Industry
The rapid expansion of the e-commerce industry in India has had a profound impact on the logistics sector:
- Last-Mile Delivery Challenges: E-commerce companies face the challenge of delivering products to customers’ doorsteps in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Warehousing and Fulfillment Centers: The increased demand for e-commerce has led to a growing need for warehousing and fulfillment centers.
- Investment in Technology: To cope with the surge in demand and maintain a competitive edge, logistics companies are embracing technology and data analytics.
- Reverse Logistics: With the growth of e-commerce, the volume of returns and reverse logistics has also increased. Logistics companies are now managing complex reverse logistics processes.
As the e-commerce landscape surges in India, stay ahead of the competition with TheCodeWork’s specialized logistics solutions. 📦🚚Also, it will foster economic development and transform the retail landscape in the country further
Let’s have a look at some of the key strategic innovations that some countries used to boost their economies via the logistics industry.
Case Study 1: Germany
Key Factors and Strategies:
- Innovation and Technology Adoption: Logistics companies have embraced advanced technologies and automation to optimize supply chain processes. Robotics, AI, and data analytics are used to improve efficiency, reduce costs, and enhance customer service.
- Strategic Location: Germany’s central location in Europe positions it as a crucial logistics gateway, allowing goods to move quickly and efficiently. This strategic advantage has attracted businesses to establish their distribution centers and logistics operations in the country
The German logistics industry has contributed significantly to the country’s economic growth and prosperity. It has supported various sectors, including manufacturing, automotive, and pharmaceuticals, by providing efficient supply chain solutions.
This seamless movement of goods within Germany and across Europe has attracted foreign investment and fostered international trade — boosting the country’s overall economic performance.
Do you want to make your International Expansion a reality? Connect with TheCodeWork! Seamlessly expand your logistics reach to international markets with our expert guidance.
Case Study 2: Singapore
Key Factors and Strategies:
Singapore is a small city-state that has transformed into a global logistics and trading hub. It significantly boosted its economy through the logistics industry.
- Modern Infrastructure: Singapore has invested heavily in developing state-of-the-art port facilities, efficient airports, and well-connected road and rail networks. This modern infrastructure has attracted shipping lines and logistics companies to establish their operations in the country.
- Free Trade Agreements: Singapore has an extensive network of free trade agreements (FTAs) with various countries. It allows them to get access to preferential markets and facilitate international trade.
- Business-Friendly Policies: Singapore’s pro-business environment, low taxes, and ease of doing business have attracted numerous multinational companies and logistics providers.
Singapore’s logistics industry has been a major driver of economic growth and has contributed significantly to their GDP. It has created job opportunities, stimulated investments, and boosted related industries such as finance, shipping, and technology. The role as a logistics hub has attracted foreign direct investment and strengthened its position for trading.
These case studies illustrate how countries with strategic planning, investments in infrastructure, and business policies upscales their logistics industry. As India’s growth trajectory surges forward, The journey towards a $26 Trillion Economy promises to be a transformative one.
In conclusion, the logistics industry plays a pivotal role in shaping the economic landscape of countries across the globe. Its efficient functioning is the backbone of trade, commerce, and supply chain operations, influencing economic growth and prosperity.
From seamless transportation systems encompassing roads, railways, airports, and ports to cutting-edge technologies like:
- Data Analytics
India’s ambitious pursuit of becoming a US$ 26 trillion economy, the logistics industry will undoubtedly be the backbone of success. The strategic importance of this sector cannot be overstated, as it is intricately linked to every aspect of the economy- from manufacturing and trade to infrastructure development and job creation.
As showcased by the case studies of other nations, a robust logistics industry can act as a catalyst for economic growth. The path ahead may be challenging! But with the logistics industry as its anchor, India’s dreams of economic greatness will become a reality.
And, Now you can Join our LinkedIn Logistics Forum — to keep up with the latest trends on logistics.